About Energy Foundation
Energy Foundation’s nonprofit mission is to serve the public interest by building a strong clean energy economy. Pragmatic and nonpartisan, the foundation supports education and analysis to promote policy solutions that build markets for clean energy technology. Advancing renewable energy, energy efficiency, clean transportation and other solutions can open doors to greater innovation and productivity—growing the economy with dramatically less pollution.
A partnership of leading foundations launched Energy Foundation in 1991 and Energy Foundation China in 1999. In the U.S., we advance energy efficiency and renewable energy in the power, transportation, and buildings sectors. The Policy and Public Engagement programs focus on strategy development, policy innovation, and campaign design, while the Strategic Communications Program develops capacities and strategies in the regions and nationally. The States and Regions Team is a cross-disciplinary team of policy, communications, and campaign experts dedicated to advancing strong state and regional climate and clean energy policies.
For more than 25 years we have supported grantees to help educate policymakers and the general public about the health and economic benefits of a clean energy economy. Grantees include business, health, labor, environmental, faith, equity, free-market, and consumer groups, as well as policy experts, military organizations, think tanks, and universities.
Energy Foundation’s founding office is in San Francisco, CA, with additional offices in Raleigh, NC; Chicago, IL; Washington, DC; and Las Vegas, NV.
Energy Foundation seeks an Accounts Payable Coordinator who will be responsible for understanding all of the accounting functions of Energy Foundation and Green Tech Action Fund (GTAF) with an emphasis on disbursements. The Accounts Payable Coordinator provides financial and administrative support by ensuring payments are completed, and expenses are controlled, by processing invoices and payroll according to established policies and procedures in an efficient, timely, and accurate manner. The Accounts Payable Coordinator works across three primary systems: accounting and payroll (Netsuite), grants management (Fluxx), and expense management (Concur Expense).
The Senior Director of Finance for Accounts Payable and Director of Talent and Administration for Payroll responsibilities and is a member of the U.S. Operations department.
Accounts Payable (85 percent): Process disbursements, including operating accounts payable, grants, and contracts.
- Review all invoices for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment.
- Process vendor payments by verifying federal ID numbers; scheduling and preparing checks; resolving contract, invoice, or payment discrepancies and documentation; issuing stop-payments.
- Working across the grants management and accounting systems, process weekly accounts payable/cash disbursements.
- Process payments of Energy Foundation (U.S.) grants and contracts, and Energy Foundation China (EFC) grants and contracts to non-China based organizations. Manage weekly funding cycle to EFC to cover payment transactions for grants and contracts. Maintain accurate records in accounting and grants management systems.
- Maintain accounting ledgers by verifying and posting account transactions.
- Charge expenses to accounts and cost centers by analyzing invoice/expense reports and recording entries.
- Verify vendor accounts by reconciling monthly statements. Enter new or update vendor names and data.
- Provide accurate and effective document preparation and records management (primarily electronic) relative to the Accounts Payable function in accordance with records retention policies and procedures.
- Assist in month-end closing.
- Perform account reconciliation as needed.
- Act as system lead for Concur Expense, the expense management system.
- Process employee expense reports by receiving and verifying reports, preparing checks.
- Train employees on expense reimbursement using Concur Expense.
- Audit and process credit card bills. Reconcile credit card statements with expense reimbursements.
- Track and process fixed assets.
- Prepare and distribute 1099s annually.
- Assist with preparation of annual audit and tax return.
Payroll (10 percent): Administer multi-state company payroll ensuring federal and state payroll compliance.
- Process semi-monthly, multi-state payroll.
- Review payroll registers for accuracy and conduct pre- and post-payroll audits to ensure accuracy.
- Process employee changes including garnishment/withholding orders, retirement, benefit, and W4 withholding changes in the payroll system.
- Process new hires and final paychecks in the payroll system.
- Prepare payroll, benefit, and Human Resources-related reports for the Human Resources and Finance departments.
- Maintain payroll schedule/calendar for payroll processing in coordination with Energy Foundation and bank holidays.
- Coordinate with payroll provider to complete state quarterly tax forms.
- Reconcile quarterly 941s to internal payroll registers.
- Provide excellent customer service for employees with payroll and benefits questions and/or issues.
- Ensure distribution of annual W-2s is done in a timely and accurate fashion in conjunction with payroll provider.
Reconciliation (5 percent): Working closely with the Human Resources Manager, administer aspects of employee benefits that impact payroll.
- Reconcile benefits and other vendor invoices in a timely manner.
- Reconcile and work with the third-party administrator on the foundation’s flexible spending accounts.
- Enter retirement contributions, rollovers, and distributions for 403(b) and 457(b) accounts in the payroll system and the third-party administrator’s portal.
- Audit employer and employee retirement contributions to ensure compliance with IRS limits.
- Update the payroll system for new IRS annual limits for withholding retirement and flexible spending contributions.
Build the Team
- Generate and implement ideas for systems, program, and operational improvement.
- Build and maintain collaborative relationships with peers and colleagues across the organization.
- Contribute to a positive working environment where mutual respect, diversity, equity and inclusion are core values.
- With assistance from supervisor and others, formulate own learning and development plan. Identify and seek out professional development opportunities, including networking, informational interviews, training, projects, etc.
Our ideal candidate will be a dynamic, detail-oriented, self-starter with:
- Five or more years’ experience in an accounting and payroll role.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the following areas: accounting, expense reimbursement; payroll processing; and compliance. Experience with benefits compliance and multi-state payroll desired.
- Technical skills: intermediate or advanced skills using Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook, preferably in a Mac environment.
- Intermediate or advanced skills in cloud-based accounting, payroll, and HRIS systems. Familiarity with Netsuite desired.
- Multitasking: experience supporting multiple priorities and juggling a variety of tasks for one or more individuals in a team environment.
- Experience working with and across culturally diverse teams.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Energy Foundation is located in the Bently Reserve building in San Francisco, a LEED certified establishment, easily accessible via public transportation. The office environment is a typical office, with moderate noise levels, shared kitchen facilities, and a collegial atmosphere. This position resides in open shared office space. On occasion, there are activities or events after work hours.