About Energy Foundation
Energy Foundation’s mission is to serve the public interest by building a strong clean energy economy. Energy Foundation supports education and analysis to promote non-partisan policy solutions that advance renewable energy and energy efficiency while opening doors to greater innovation and productivity—growing the economy with dramatically less pollution. We are a complex, multi-site, multicultural nonprofit organization with big plans for the future. Now into the tenure of a new CEO, Energy Foundation has embarked on a major strategy refresh, a prioritized commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI), and rapid geographic expansion.
For more than 25 years, Energy Foundation has supported grantees to help educate policymakers and the general public about the health and economic benefits of a clean energy economy. Our grantees include business, health, environmental, labor, equity, faith, and consumer groups, as well as policy experts, think tanks, universities, and more.
Our comprehensive approach advances energy efficiency and renewable energy in the power, transportation, and buildings sectors. Working together, our Policy and Public Engagement programs focus on developing innovative policies and campaigns to help propel clean energy development in these sectors, while our Strategic Communications Program develops powerful narrative and communications strategies designed to build support for our work regionally and nationwide. Our States and Regions Team is a cross-disciplinary team of policy, communications, and campaign experts dedicated to advancing strong state and regional climate and clean energy policies.
Energy Foundation’s founding office is in San Francisco, CA, with regional offices in Raleigh, NC; Chicago, IL; Washington, DC; and Las Vegas, NV.
The Program Director, Midwest Campaigns will guide the foundation’s strategies to build public support for clean energy and climate policies in the Midwest. Working in the region and in close partnership with campaign experts in both Energy Foundation’s San Francisco office and other regional offices, the Campaign Director will design and fund strategies that create the diverse coalitions and collaborations needed to meet the ambitious state policy goals in the power, buildings, transportation, and climate sectors.
Reports to the Senior Regional Director, Midwest, and is a member of the U.S. Programs team.
- The ideal candidate is an expert campaign director with a minimum of 10 years of experience managing successful issue campaigns.
- Skilled in developing strategies that consider and synthesize multiple perspectives into a coherent big-picture strategy and workable plan, prioritizing investments, and evaluating progress.
- Experience building diverse coalitions.
- Experience working with policymakers and legislative bodies.
- Familiarity with clean energy and climate policy issues, particularly at the state level.
- Credibility in the field. Able to establish rapport internally and with funding partners, grantees, consultants, and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated fundraising abilities.
- Strong writing and speaking skills. Able to present complex information in a meaningful way to the Energy Foundation Board of Directors, funding partners, and allies.
- Ability to develop and facilitate strategy across a network of internal and external partners.
- Desired experience with the following areas:
- Grantee networks and existing experts engaged in clean energy advocacy.
- The role of philanthropy and how foundation dollars impact policies and markets.
Ability to travel 6-12 times a year for 1-3 business days at a time.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to spend extended hours at the computer.
This position requires low to moderate levels of domestic travel.
The position is based in the Energy Foundation’s office in Chicago, Ill., though working from another location will be considered.
The Midwest Office is located on the historic “Magnificent Mile” of Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago, IL. The office environment is in a shared work space with an open office, with moderate noise levels, a small conference room, shared kitchen facilities, and a collegial atmosphere. On occasion, there are activities or events after work hours.
Energy Foundation staff work in service of a clean energy future for all. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Submit a cover letter and resume online at Grossman Solutions.